Depere Wisconsin History

De Pere (pronounced dee-peer) is a small town in Brown County, Wisconsin, USA. De Pere is located on the Fox River in the Green Bay Metropolitan Statistical Area, north of Green Lake. It is one of four communities that comprise the Green Bay Metropolitary Statistical Area with a population of about 25,000 people. Freedom, Wisconsin is not technically a city, but somehow it's nice how this city got its name. How the name "freedom" came about, and not just the other two words, is a bit of a mystery, and how we got it is another.

Waukesha was nicknamed "Spring City" because of its spring water, which was attributed to healing powers. According to Wikipedia, the spring's water was described as "the place to gather to get water" and was so popular that Richard Sears, founder of Sears Roebuck, moved to Waukeha.

A relative of Samuel Appleton, a wealthy businessman, donated $10,000 to the institution, and the city was named "Appleton" in his honor. In honour of the railway director, the name of the village was changed from Day Mill to Greenleaf. The name changed to Kaukauna in 1851 when George Lawe established the first public school in Waukesha - the University of Wisconsin School of Medicine and Dentistry.

Perrot and others founded the first public school in Waukesha - the University of Wisconsin School of Medicine and Dentistry. The spectacular stretch of foaming water was known as the Rapids at the time and is still one of the state's most popular tourist attractions.

After the United States declared independence and Wisconsin joined the Union in 1848, work began to create a simple passage through the rapids. The construction of the De Pere lock was completed in 1849, and the first river ship passed through the lock on 14 June 1850. In a subsequent survey in 1872, the US Army Corps of Engineers began a program aimed at keeping the Fox Wisconsin system open for navigation.

The city is located between Lake Winnebago and Lake Michigan, and the length of the De Pere lock is known as the longest of its kind in the United States. Indian word means "way to the lake," but another theory says it means a way to a lake. The Indians called the area around the river that flows into Lake Michigan because it was tangled with hooks and roots.

He died in March 1906 and was buried with his wife on a high ledge at Greenleaf, overlooking the part of the Fox Valley that he had contributed so much to its development. He also planted a red oak tree in front of the town hall to mark his country's 200th birthday. He was the first European to visit the area, more than 200 years after the pilgrims landed at Plymouth Rock.

Charles de Langlade, known as the "Father of Wisconsin," was so successful that when he founded the first permanent settlement in Fox Valley in 1836, he was responsible for founding the city of Madison, Wisconsin. Madison was named after its founding father William Madison (1797 - 1842), who died in the same year. When the town of Greenleaf, a small village with about 1,000 inhabitants, was opened in 1836.

Although Green Bay was not in the Orient, Nicolet's rich mineral resources led him to claim the area for the King of France and call it La Baie Verte or "Green Bay." The Puant people observed the approach from the wooded slopes east and west of Fox Valley from a distance of 1,000 feet.

They drove to Manitowoc, where they welcomed a Winnebago tribe, where they encountered rocky and shallow rapids. The Indians named the ManitOWoc after the mysterious spirit they often saw at the mouth of the river. In 1851, the US government established the Treaty of Fort Laramie and held conferences with several local Indian tribes to allay fears.

The three children reached Wrightstown before traveling from Buffalo to Manitowoc and then across the Great Lakes to Green Bay. They stopped at Marquette and Joliet before finding the Mississippi and ending up with pilgrims who landed at Plymouth Rock. Pere Claude Allouez spent a longer stay, founding the rapids of his father, now the Rapids Des Peres.

His parents, Otis and Elmira Scribner, emigrated to Wisconsin from New York State in 1849, and he and his family settled in Glenmore, Wisconsin, in the 1829s, when William Dickinson, the founder of De Pere, foresaw the site's water and electricity potential and founded the De Pere Manufacturing Company. The Bersie brothers and two others, who built the first warehouse built by the Bersies brothers and the first of two others located on the north side of the river near the present site of La Crosse, were among the earliest industries in the camp.

The abbot of Pennings soon recognized the need for higher education in northeastern Wisconsin and launched a lay-by program. He taught history at West De Pere High School and taught numerous sports over the years, and at weekends he was a member of the football, basketball and baseball teams as well as the men's basketball team. After two years as a lecturer at Rudolph's, Gentile left the University of Wisconsin-Madison for a few years before becoming an assistant professor of history at the College of Arts and Sciences at Wisconsin State University in Madison.

More About Depere

More About Depere